Saturday 13 October 2018

Let's Brew - 1858 Tetley SP

I'm just realising how few Tetley's recipes I've published. At least on the blog.* Odd given my obsession with the brewery.

Yorkshire isn’t particularly well known for Stout, though, as in all parts of the UK, plenty was brewed there. A brewery couldn’t afford not to have at least one Stout in their range. Drinkers expected the option. Tetley seem to have been particularly enthusiastic brewers of Porter and Stout. Exceptionally so for a Northern brewer.

As you’re probably tired of hearing me say, brewers outside London had mostly dropped brown malt from their Stout grists by the middle of the 19th century. They preferred a simpler grist of just pale and black malt. As is the case with this beer.

In terms of strength, it looks like a London Single Stout of the same period. Does SP stand for “Stout Porter”. Possible. But I wouldn’t bet my house on it. The bitterness level, however looks low. Reid’s 1877 S has more than twice the number of calculated IBUs.


1858 Tetley SP
pale malt 15.75 lb 92.65%
black malt 1.25 lb 7.35%
Goldings 90 mins 1.50 oz
Goldings 30 mins 1.50 oz
OG 1072
FG 1024
ABV 6.35
Apparent attenuation 66.67%
IBU 32
SRM 34
Mash at 150º F
Sparge at 180º F
Boil time 90 minutes
pitching temp 60º F
Yeast Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale




* I have published more Tetley's recipes in various books. This one appears in my excellent Let's Brew!

http://www.lulu.com/shop/ronald-pattinson/lets-brew/paperback/product-23289812.html




1 comment:

Ekspert Amator said...

Any Tetley's bitter recipes in that book? I drank gallons at Sheffield Uni ca. 2003. I don't remember it being exceptional or objectionable, but I can't get it in the States.