Wednesday 14 March 2018

Let's Brew Wednesday - 1939 Boddington IP

It’s fascinating to see how much a beer I drank myself changed over the years. Would I have recognised older versions of Boddington’s Bitter for what they were? Who knows. But I suspect not for any further back than maybe the 1960s.

Though I was struck by how similar the 1939 recipe is to the 1966 one. It contains all the same elements, just in different proportions. Even the sugars, for which I’ve substituted No. 2 invert, are much the same: 2 cwt. DMS, 2 cwt. Br, 1 cwt. Fl.

The hops were a combination of English, Oregon, and Styrian. The latter in such a small amount – 5 lbs from a total of 180 lbs – that I’ve left them out of the recipe. They were a mix of the 1937 and 1938 harvests. As most of the older hops had been in a cold store, I’ve left the quantities unchanged.

One big difference with later versions is the OG, a very respectable 1045º. It would never be that strong again. The rate of attenuation is on the way up, though it isn’t as high as after the war. I blame the enzymic malt in the grist.

Just let me know when you’re getting bored of Boddies Bitter recipes. It won’t stop me publishing, but it might make you feel a little better.


1939 Boddington IP
pale malt 6.25 lb 71.43%
enzymic malt 0.25 lb 2.86%
wheat flaked 0.25 lb 2.86%
flaked maize 1.50 lb 17.14%
No. 2 invert sugar 0.50 lb 5.71%
Cluster 120 mins 0.50 oz
Fuggles 120 mins 0.50 oz
Fuggles 90 mins 1.00 oz
Goldings 30 mins 1.00 oz
Goldings dry hops 0.50 oz
OG 1045
FG 1010
ABV 4.63
Apparent attenuation 77.78%
IBU 45
SRM 5
Mash at 149º F
Sparge at 162º F
Boil time 120 minutes
pitching temp 61.5º F
Yeast
Wyeast 1318 London ale III (Boddingtons)


7 comments:

Raoul Duke said...

Ron...not bored at all - bring em on!!
Just wondering if the WLP028 slipped in there by accident, or on purpose?

Uncle Dan said...

Any reason the yeast is WLP028 for this one?

Phil said...

I didn't realise you remembered Boddies! (Assuming you do - I know I've drunk it myself, but I wasn't a beer geek back then & didn't take notes.)

Assuming you were somewhere in the Manchester region at the time, did you ever come across Hyde's bitter? I remember it clear as day from the 1980s - it was pale gold and both bitter and sharp, making me wonder in retrospect if I was somehow ordering the lager by mistake all that time (particularly as nobody else remembers it that way).

CD said...

"2 cwt. Br". Brown sugar?

Ron Pattinson said...

Raoul Duke,

that's a mistake, now fixed.

Ron Pattinson said...

Phil,

I always used to drink Hyde's Mild , so I can't help you with the Bitter.

Lee said...

Only Boddies I ever had the "pleasure" of was that criminally horrid smooth flow shite.

This has been bugging me to hell. If Boddingtons was brewed at Stangeways in Manchester, why is the Boddingtons yeast known as "London ale III"?
Sorry if the question is stupid.