Thursday 25 August 2016

Random Dutch beers (part thirty-nine)

It's 1 PM, Saturday and sun is shining. Time to hide inside and drink more Dutch beers. It's no wonder I'm such a healthy white colour.

Andrew has already appeared and uttered his standaard: "Can I have 30 euros, Mama?" He got downstairs before I cracked my first beer of the day. Not sure which of us that reflects best on.

Another beer from oldish/new Utrecht brewery, De Leckere:


De Leckere Paulus, 7.5% ABV
I see it's billed as Koyt, a venerable and once extinct Dutch beer style.Looking at the ingredients, I can see they aren't joking: it contains barley, oat and wheat malt. The colour is pale yellow. Which I think is right. Nice orangey, malty aroma. Surprisingly light for the ABV. Not a huge amount of hop presence. Other than that, I'd have mistaken it for a Tripel. A pleasant enough beer.

"Do you want to try my beer, Andrew?"


"No, not right now, Dad"

"It wasn't a question."

He wanders off before I can force him to take a sip. Bastard.

It's been a quieter week, thank Stalin. Though I did assemble a 730 page book. And noticed I had another book I'd never published. I've so many manuscripts, it's difficult to keep track of them all.


Gebrouwen door Vrouwen Tricky Tripel, 7.8% ABV
Mmm Is this the elderflower beer again? Smells like it. No, it's more like coriander. I'll stick with spicy, as a description. Like walking through a sea of grass and then sniffing your kecks. Or something like that. My word mill is all ground out. Let's see if the flavour can get it grinding again. No, hasn't worked. Orange, spice and a warming undercurrent of alcohol. That'll do. The alcohol, I mean, not my rubbish description.

Me and Dolores are off to Butcher's Tears soon. For their third anniversary do. It's perfect. Just around the corner, so no need to brave the tourist hordes in the town centre. Though it's threatening to rain. Bastard weather.

2 comments:

Lee said...

What kind of kecks?
The kind that repel or act as a magnet to grass?

Ron Pattinson said...

Lee,

definitely the magnet type.