Friday 4 April 2014

Belgian Beerz

I'll totally upfront with you. Nice Lode Devlieghere at Belgian Beerz sent me a free box of beer. But he asked me nicely if I wanted one and if I'd post a link to his web shop when I reviewed the beers.

As you've probably noticed, I don't really do beer reviews. But I've every sympathy with someone trying to start up an internet business. As a poor sucker who's been struggling for years to try and turn his web presence into cash, I understand his situation. So instead I'm just going to say something about the shop itself.


The box turned up pretty quickly and was well packed. That's very important. I've had really bad experiences with beers sent to me for judging. Several boxes suffered breakages because of poor packing.




There were some very nice beers in it: a Hanssens Oude Kriek and a Cantillon Rosé de Gambrinus being the standouts. No St. Bernardus Abt, unfortunately, but there was their Tripel, a beer I'm ashamed to say that I've never tried. Now's my chance.


Or when I have time it will be. I've been so busy with my trips and other crap that, despite the box arriving a couple of weeks ago, I've only drunk a couple of bottles.

The selection isn't bad - better than at Ton Overmars (my local offie), especially in the Lambik department. I won't go through all the choices. You can take a look at the website if you're interested. The prices are dearer than Ton Overmars - about 60 cents in the case of St. Bernardus Abt - and obviously more than you would pay in a Belgian supermarket. Buy hey, if you could get to a Belgian supermarket, you wouldn't be ordering beer by mail order.

Shipping is via TNT and you can see the prices here. For EU countries, it comes to around €1 per 33cl bottle, which doesn't sound too bad to me.

I wish Lode all the best with his business. I know how much effort it is getting your name out there.

http://www.belgianbeerz.com

No comments: