Saturday, 29 August 2026

This is XXXX Ale

I explain 1832 Truman XXXX Ale. One of my favourite beers of all time. And a wonderful example of an extra-strong Mild Ale.

 

6 comments:

Kevin said...

Doesn't keeping it negate the mild part?

Ron Pattinson said...

Where did I say it was kept? That was XXXXK, a different beer.

Johannes said...

Mild malt is hard to find nowadays. Would Maris Otter be a good substitute? If not, what else?

Ron Pattinson said...

Maris Otter will make a lovely beer. Not sure if it's the best substitute for mild malt, though. Just the cheapest pale malt would probably work.

Anonymous said...

Would the higher hops really provide that level of IBUs? I'm skeptical as hops as recently as 1960s were not well preserved and I suspect had lower bittering potential.

Ron Pattinson said...

Two points. First, I've already reduced the quantity of hops. They were all from the most recent season, so pretty fresh.

I've analyses of Golding from the 1930s with over 7% alpha acid. Also analyses taken after various periods of ageing, either in a cold store or at room temperature. The ones stored cold showed little fall in the alpha acid content over the first 12 months. At least some hops were being well preserved - that is kept cold - back into the 19th century.