Saturday 31 August 2024

Let's Brew - 1970 Watneys Red Barrel

A couple of days ago someone asked me if I'd ever published a recipe of Watneys Red Barrel. I knew I'd written one and assumed that I'd posted it at some point. It turns out that I hadn't. So here you go.

I couldn’t miss this iconic beer. Even if it’s iconic for all the wrong reasons. Gaining a reputation as the classic terrible beer. But was it intrinsically awful?

The recipe doesn’t look much different to other Bitters of the day. It’s over 90% malt, which most of its rivals weren’t. And it’s only malt and sugar. There are no adjuncts. There was a little Dixon’s enzymic malt, which I’ve replaced with more base malt.

The hopping looks fine, too: Fuggles for bittering and Goldings for aroma. And enough to leave a decent degree of bitterness. Dry-hopped, too. Though that was with some form of hop concentrate.

Overall, it looks like a pretty decent beer. That’s before it was pasteurised. Derek Prentice told me that the Truman’s beers of this period always tasted stale because of the heavy pasteurisation. Perhaps that was also the case with Red Barrel. 

1970 Watneys Red Barrel
pale malt 7.50 lb 87.41%
crystal malt 60 L 0.33 lb 3.85%
No. 3 invert sugar 0.50 lb 5.83%
malt extract 0.25 lb 2.91%
Fuggles 105 min 1.75 oz
Goldings 15 min 0.75 oz
Goldings dry hops 0.125 oz
OG 1039.2
FG 1006
ABV 4.39
Apparent attenuation 84.69%
IBU 32
SRM 8
Mash at 158º F
Sparge at 175º F
Boil time 75 minutes
pitching temp 60º F
Yeast WLP023 Burton Ale


13 comments:

Martyn Cornell said...

Red Barrel was withdrawn the following year, at Easter 1971, aN

Martyn Cornell said...

Red Barrel was withdrawn the following year, and replaced at Easter 1971 by Watney's Red. Now THAT was a truly awful beer: when I was living in Brighton/Hove circa 1972-4 I really couldn't drink it, it was so bad. Ironically, as I love pointing out, Red Barrel disappeared at almost exactly the same time the Campaign for the Revitalisation of Ale (sic) was founded.

Anonymous said...

That's an impressive attenuation for such a high mash temperature.

Anonymous said...

I do wonder what the IBU of Smithwicks was at this stage.
Oscar

Anonymous said...

Newbie question - what does attenuation have to do with mash temperature?

Anonymous said...

In the late 1960s / early 70s, I had no idea about beer recipes, hop profiles, yeasts, attenuation, or indeed, very little about brewing at all. However, I can say, unequivocally, that Red Barrel (as offered in the South of the UK) was really terrible. As I remember, tasting pretty much like dirty water, with a second hand teabag squeezed in it (mind you, we were mosly then drinking by choice, King & Barnes, Gales & Harvey's). My Girl friends parents ran a successful Watneys pub at the time. But the only way to drink Red Barrel there, was to mix it with White Shield, which they incidentally sold quite a lot of.

Ron Pattinson said...

Anonymous,

a higher mash temperature produces more less easily fermented sugars. Hence tends to reduce attenuation.

Anonymous said...

I have heard that Watney's red which replaced red barrel in 1971 was even worse.
Oscar

Anonymous said...

I remember a joke about red barrel being like having s++ in a canoe. I won’t repeat the punch line.

A Brew Rat said...

Watney's Red Barrel was available in the U.S. from the keg at the taverns in the late 1970s/early 1980s. While it may have been despised by you Brits, it was a breath of fresh air compared to the U.S. factory lagers that were the only thing available on tap at the time.

Anonymous said...

It was sold in Ireland from the 1960’s to 1970’s with Watneys even buying a small majority share in Murphys which lasted until the late 1970’s.
Oscar

Drew C. said...

Higher mash temperatures allow different enzymes to dominate in the conversion of starch into sugar, leading to a higher proportion of unfermentable sugars in the wort. This will lead to lower attenuation and a higher finishing gravity.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ron - I get it now!