Wednesday 12 August 2020

Let's Brew Wednesday - 1848 Tetley X3

We're off back to the first half of the 19th century for an early Tetley recipe. A brewery very dear to my heart.

I’m really not sure whether you’d classify X3 as a Strong Ale or a strong Mild Ale. It’s pretty damn strong, though, so I’m happy to include it.

This was a particularly difficult recipe to compile. It’s all in scraggly handwriting. And my photograph is quite blurred. Makes it quite a challenge to read. I’ve been able to work out the most important bits.

One malt. Three types of English hops. All very simple. But that’s what early 19th-century recipes are like. No indication of the age or exact origin of the hops. I went for mild, rather than pale malt, in the 1840s was probably a bit darker than today. Or you could splurge and buy some Chevallier pale malt.

1848 Tetley X3
mild malt 22.50 lb 100.00%
Goldings 120 mins 2.50 oz
Goldings 30 mins 2.50 oz
Goldings dry hops 1.00 oz
OG 1099
FG 1025.5
ABV 9.72
Apparent attenuation 74.24%
IBU 47
SRM 9
Mash at 150º F
Sparge at 165º F
Boil time 120 minutes
pitching temp 59º F
Yeast Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale




This recipe is in my two new books, Strong! vols. 1 & 2 and Strong! vol.2.




 

 

 




3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ron, some of these imperial mild recipes call for 23 plus lbs of malt, in what I'm assuming is a 23 litre volume beer. I don't think my set up could handle that much malt. Do you think I could still get reasonably authentic results if a sub some malt for say a kilo of invert No 2? Thanks Philbert

Ron Pattinson said...

Unknown,

yes, 23 litres. I don't think subbing out some malt for No.2 would harm it much.

Anonymous said...

Mashing less grain and then using some malt exteact in the boil to compensate might be a way to go. Some places sell Maris Otter liquid extract which is newer than 1848 but might be worth a shot.