Sunday 23 February 2020

Obsession

Overenthusiasm has its upsides. I'd never have got where I am today without it.

Transcribing yet more tranches of numbers from brewing records this week, I wondered about how many hours I'd spent on such tasks. A fuckload is the simple answer. The long one, I don't really want to think about it.

Take my most recent archive trip. 650 photos in about four hours. Transcribing about half them, another forty. Turning them into recipes - a load more. A couple of weeks out of my life for a few dozen recipes.

Had I known hopw much work this would be, would I have ever started? I'm not sure.

When I started, I was only really interested in Porter and Mild Ale in the 19th century. It didn't look like a never-ending project. Unfortunately, my focus widened as I realised how little I really knew about brewing in the first half of the 20th century.

I suppose that's the definition of obsession. Not being able to let go. Even though I understand that I don't need to know every little detail, I can't help looking. Assembling as much data as I can. I really can't stop.

The information I've put together is amazingly useful. Giving me an amazing overview of UK brewing over the last 200 years. Was it worth the dozen years I've invested in it? I think so.

But then I'm an obsessive.

A result of my obsessive research is the many recipes in my book Let's Brew!





And I've recently created a Kindle version of the book.



https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08348M2D7

2 comments:

Northern England Brewer said...

A lot of people are thinking "of course it was worth it". But we didn't have to do it! We are really glad you did it, and still do, though. So cheers!

Mike in NSW said...

Just bought the Kindle version. So little time, so many beers.
Cheers.