Wednesday 14 June 2017

Let’s Brew Wednesday - 1880 Barclay Perkins X

And here’s the X Ale to go with the XX Ale. They really do go together, as they were the two parts of a parti-gyle.

Which is going to make my life easy. Everything I said about the XX in terms of grist and hopping also applies to this beer.

Despite being the smaller sibling, this beer still packs a fair punch. It’s well north of 5% ABV, but it’s the IBUs that most intrigued me. They’re exactly the same as for XX, even though I’ve scaled the quantity down perfectly correctly. It interested me, at least.

Not really much more to say. Just enjoy the recipe. And drink Mild!


1880 Barclay Perkins X Ale
pale malt 10.75 lb 86.00%
No. 1 invert sugar 1.75 lb 14.00%
Cluster 90 min 3.50 oz
Fuggles 60 mins 2.00 oz
Fuggles 30 mins 2.00 oz
OG 1060.4
FG 1018
ABV 5.61
Apparent attenuation 70.20%
IBU 106
SRM 7.5
Mash at 160º F
Sparge at 170º F
Boil time 90 minutes
pitching temp 59º F
Yeast Wyeast 1099 Whitbread Ale

5 comments:

David said...

> IBUs ... exactly the same as for XX, even though I’ve scaled the quantity down perfectly correctly

Alpha acid isomerisation is more efficient the lower the gravity, but still surprising it's made that much difference.

StuartP said...

Much more sensible!

Kevin said...

Forgive my ignorance. I'm trying to sort this all out. Are X ales mild ales?

Ron Pattinson said...

Kevin,

yes.

ts said...

At this weeks national home brewers conference my club will have 4 milds on tap. We have you to thank (or blame) Ron. thanks for all the info