Monday, 3 August 2026

A day in Toronto

I rise at 8:30. Obviously, both kids are still sound asleep.

What do I do? Brush my teeth and pour myself an eye-opener. Then start writing this crap. I have to write up stuff on the go, otherwise I forget half of it. That's what happens when you're an old bastard like me.

What's our plan for the day? A diner breakfast to start with. Then a wander around town.

The air isn't quite as bad today. Though still far from clear. It's about a 15-minute walk to White Lily, a compact little diner. Which, fortunately for us, is licensed. I get myself an IPA, Andrew has a cider and Alexei a coffee.

It's exactly the sort of place I want to breakfast. Me and Alexei both go for the standard breakfast with bacon. Andrew orders no food. He isn't really a breakfast person. Unlike me and Alexei.

A breakfast of fried eggs, bacon, hash browns and toast.

It's an excellent breakfast, with proper hash browns. Grated raw potato fried up, not one of those horrible triangle lumps.

On the way back, we drop by a supermarket. Where the kids get themselves some beer. While I buy some fruit and cheddar. Oh, and some milk. I need something to mix with the Jamesons.

We laze around for a while back in my room. And watch Cartoon Network.

“What's the Michelob Ultra like?”

"Watery." Andrew replies.

I take a sip.

“Fuck me that's almost completely tasteless.”

“It's not as bad as Bavaria Pils.”

“That's a very low bar.”

He switches to Molson.

“At least this has got some flavour."

Toronto old City Hall with the war memorial in front of it.

At 16:00 we take a tram into the city centre. First, we have a wander to look at the old City Hall. Which is a lovely building. We then carry on to House of McGrath. A brewpub where I'm meeting the brewer, Jeffrey Kurkowski.

He comes to greet us as soon as we get through the door. And soon we have glasses of Kellerbier in our hands. It's very good. I chat away with Jeff, while drinking some of his beers.

I was really looking forward to the Pilsator, brewed to a recipe I sent Jeff. I so love me a Pilsator. And it’s several decades since I last drank one. This one is pretty good, with fairly decent hopping. Jeff has to fetch some from the tank, as it hasn't been packaged yet. 

Next, he gets me a Doppelbock, also straight from the fermenter. It’s also excellent. I have quick tour around the brewhouse, which is quite compact.

Three fermenters with copper tops.

After a few rounds we get an Uber to Granite Brewery, another brewpub. It has quite a pub-like feel. Which is reinforced by the presence of cask beer. I get a Best Bitter, which is rather pleasant. And very easy to drink.

We order some food. Burgers for me and Alexei. Nothing for Andrew again as he isn't hungry. Now there’s a surprise.

The bar counter of the Granite Brewery.

We have a couple of pints, then it's closing time. We take an Uber back to our hotel and have a couple of drinks before it's time for me to go to bed. Though the kids stay up later.

In minutes I'm in the land of slumber.



House of McGrath
75 Victoria St, 
Toronto, ON M5C 2B1.
https://www.mcgraths.com/


Granite Brewery & Tied House
245 Eglinton Ave E, 
Toronto, ON M4P 3B7.
http://www.granitebrewery.ca/ 
 

No comments: