Pages

Friday, 21 August 2026

Not quite so Old Quebec

I rise a little after 8. As usual. And get on with the really important business of the day: writing. And washing my bollocks. That's really important, too.

We're starting the day with a visit to SAQ. As it doesn't open until 13:00, that was a good excuse for arranging to meet at noon today. The lazy git. I bet he was up until stupid o’clock again yesterday. Or this morning, rather.

The inspiring view from our hotel. A windowless, concrete university building with the air of a bunker.

The kids do tip up just after noon. After a bit of snacking, it's after 13:00 when we set out for the SAQ.

It's not really that far. But it's quite hot. And it isn't exactly a pedestrian friendly environment. The sequences of the traffic lights are shit for pedestrians. Minutes of hanging around waiting for the lights to change. I thought they were bad in our bit of Amsterdam. they're much worse here.

After stocking up on whisky and cider, we return to my room. For a little pre-loading. Before we head into town.

“That looks disgusting.” Alexei says.

The kids don't care for my whisky and milk cocktail. I can’t think why.

“It works for me. So you can fuck right off.”

“Charming.”

“That's how the ladies always describe me.”

“No, they don't, Dad. Not even Mum.”

Children can be so cruel.

La Korrigane inside. In the foreground are rows of wooden tables and chairs. At the rear is the partitioned-off brew house with a viewing window.

We take an Uber into town around 2. To La Korrigane, a brewpub a little outside the old town. It’s located in a three-storey brick building. The interior is quite austere, with a tiled floor and simple wooden furniture. Partitioned off at the back is a small brew house.

We sit inside. And get some beers, obviously. Imperial IPA for me, something Lagery for the kids.

We also order some food. Kimchi quail eggs and poutine for me and Alexei. A burger for Andrew. The poutine is dead good again. Not so sure about the kimchi. I’ve been spoilt by the stuff Dolores makes.

La Korrigane food. To the left, a bowl of quail's eggs and kimchi, to the right a bowl of poutine.

“I'm not going to be buying an electric vehicle anytime soon. Not unless it's a wheelchair.”

“We can make that happen, Dad.” Andrew retorts.

“That sounds like a threat.”

“That's because it was.”

“What a lovely thing to say.”

“I do my best, Dad.”

We only stay for a couple of rounds. Because we're headed to Noctem, another brewpub only a couple of blocks away. That's the reason I chose these two breweries: their proximity to each other. I don’t want too much walking to interfere with my drinking.

Noctem exterior at night, in the rain. The outside terrace is deserted, through the windows can be glimpsed the busy interior.

The interior is again understated. With a plain, wooden L-shaped bar counter. And very simple furniture. Nothing flashy. The brew house is glassed off in a corner at the rear.

More pints. Triple IPA for me. Something Lagery for the kids. We get some more food, too, chicken hearts and humus. Just snacky things to share.
 
“At least I went into Tim Horton's in a Canadiens jersey. You can't get any more Canadian than that.” Alexei remarks randomly.

“You could have been singing ‘Oh, Canada’ as well.”

“That would have been over the top, Dad.”

“Which isn’t your style at all, is it?”

“Shut up, Dad.”

A stemmed glass of Noctem Triple IPA. Very sludgy.

They're having a pub quiz. We don't participate but do watch. It's not as difficult as I had expected. Until the music round, where I don’t recognise any of the songs. What's the connection between them? The quizmaster asks. They're all in French? That’s all I’ve got.

I get myself another Triple IPA. Because I'm on holiday.

“You really love Triple IPA, don’t you, Dad?” Alexei says.

“I do seem to be getting a taste for it.” I reply.

“Totally unconnected with its high alcohol content.”

“Indeed.”

“I was taking the piss, Dad.”

It starts to rain. And everyone comes inside from the terrace, filling the place up.

I'm living the dream. On holiday with my kids. They don't hate me. They actually seem quite happy. Is this peak fathering? I'm sure they'll bring me back down to earth in a minute.

We get an Uber back to our hotel. Watch some YouTube and drink some whisky. Which creeps up behind me and batters me to slumber.


 
La Korrigane - Brasserie artisanale
380 Rue Dorchester,
Québec, QC G1K 6A7
https://korrigane.ca/
 

Noctem Artisans Brasseurs St-Roch
438 Rue du Parvis,
Québec, QC G1K 8M4
http://www.noctem.ca/
  

No comments:

Post a Comment