Pages

Thursday, 20 August 2026

Old Quebec

I rise just after 8. To get on with this writing stuff.

The kids haven't shown up by 10. I message them. Noon, they say. The lazy gits.

While I'm waiting for them, I check out the beer places I've been recommended. There's only one, Archibald, that's in the old town. Which is where we want to go.

The kids show up a little after noon. And soon we're outside getting an Uber. 30 minutes, it will take.

"Where are you going, Dad?" Alexei asks.

“To wait in the pub. With a drink.”

"What a surprise." Alexei retorts, cynically. But follows me anyway.

“I’m thirsty.”

“You’re always thirsty, Dad.”

“It’s because I’m old.”

“And not because you’re an alcoholic?”

“No. Definitely age.”

Boston Pizza inside. There's a long bar counter with stools in front of it. In the background is a large window. to the left is a monster TV and rows of bottles of alcohol.

There's a Sports Bar, Boston Pizza, connected to the hotel. I'd rather wait there than in the sun.

We sit at the bar. Behind which is the largest TV I've ever seen inside a building. Impressive in a slightly intimidating way.

I get a double Canadian Club. The kids some Lagery thing. Probably Molson, or something similar. We don't linger. And are back outside in time for our ride.

We're headed to the middle of the old town. The streets are jammed for the last bit of the journey and it takes ages.

Quebec cathedral with two towers. People mill about on the square in front of it.

The old centre is pretty impressive. Lots of old stone buildings. And quite a drop from around the cathedral, where we start, to the riverside, where Archibald is located. Lots of stairs. Lots of people, too. We manage to lose Andrew on the way down.

“I'm glad I won't be going back the other way. I can't . . .”

"Be doing with climbing stairs. I know, Dad." Alexei finishes for me. Am I that predictable?

Alexei manages to track down Andrew. Not easy with the crowds mobbing the place.

"It's annoying all these tourists getting in the way of us travellers." I quip.

"Right." Andrew replies drily.

We have to queue up outside Archibald. It's very popular. Unsurprising, given its location. Several people in front of us give up and wander off.  After 20 minutes or so, we get a table. And order some beers. A Double IPA for me. Some Lagery shit for the kids.

“Let me guess why you ordered that.”

“What do you mean, Andrew?”

“You ordered it because it's the strongest beer that they have.”

“I just happen to like Double IPA.”

“Though not as much as Triple IPA, if that's on offer.”

“I like all sorts of beers.”

“As long s they're really strong.”

“I drank that pint of Mild the other day.”

“And then moved on to Imperial Stout.”

“Just a standard progression”

“Right.”

Archibald potine. A metal dish with chips, gravy, meat, curds and spring onions.

We order some food. Poutine, wings and onion rings. The poutine is pretty good again. Though a rather pricey. More beer is requested, too. Mine doesn't turn up. We have it deducted from the bill at the end.

It’s more commercial and more expensive than the other brewpubs we’ve been to. I guess that’s on account of the location. And the fact that it’s full of tourists. And I mean literally full, as in no empty seat.

It's a bit of a wait for an Uber. Which takes us to the supermarket closest to our hotel. We load up with tomatoes, beer, wine, milk and cheese. Everything you need for a really good party.

Which isn't quite what we have. A couple of drinks. Then downstairs to Boston Pizza. Because, well, it's right there. I can't be arsed to traipse off somewhere.

The bar counter at Boston Pizza with a row of beer taps. Two glasses stand on the bar. Behind is a row of alcohol bottles and  a huge TV.

It has beer, food and that hypnotising giant TV that lights up the whole room. It isn't very full. The more restauranty room looks busier. We get a table in the shade of the giant TV. Double Canadian Club again for me. With just a little ice. Molson Canadian for the kids. This is nice. Or, at least, nice enough.

Andrew orders a hamburger. Me and Alexe share quesidillas and chips. The food is fine. Pub food. After a second round of drinks, we leave. It's nearing closing time, anyway.

Wine and YouTube back in my room. I manage to chase the kids out at 1. They want a noon start again tomorrow. Lazy gits.

Sleep is lurking inside a glass.

 
Boston Pizza
2300 Ch Ste-Foy,
Sainte-Foy–Sillery–Cap-Rouge, QC G1V 1S5
https://bostonpizza.com/fr/locations/ste-foy.html


Archibald Microbrasserie
40 Rue du Marché-Champlain,
Québec, QC G1K 4H3
https://www.archibaldmicrobrasserie.ca/
  

No comments:

Post a Comment