I rise at 8:45. I'm such a good boy, me.
I have time to write up yesterday before the kids get up. It starts pissing it down just as Alexei rises.
"I guess that rules out visiting Niagara Falls." Alexei says.
“Correct. I don’t fancy a day of getting wet.” I reply.
“You’re always pretty wet, Dad.” Alexei quips.
“Haha, very funny.”
“At least I’m funnier than you.”
We had two options for today: visit Niagara Falls or go to a couple of museums in Toronto. The latter being our bad weather plan. Looks like we'll be implementing that.
When Andrew finally drags his sorry arse out of bed, the kids go to the supermarket for some food. Not for breakfast. For later. We have other breakfast plans.
I find what looks like a really good diner between here and our first museum stop; the Royal Ontario Museum. We jump in an Uber and get to the Golden Diner at around noon.
It’s really pissing it down. Just as well it’s only a short dash to the stairs down to the door of the diner.
It's quite a bit larger than the other two diners we've visited. With very much a retro feel. Lots of four-person booths. Though it’s a squeeze for just the three of us. It doesn’t look like it’s been remodelled in many decades. Exactly the sort of diner I like.
The menu is larger, too. We're seated in a booth with a flickering light, which is slightly disconcerting. It doesn’t make reading the menu any easier.
“What does that say?” I ask Andrew, pointing at the menu. “I didn’t bring my glasses.”
“Why on earth not? Given how blind you’re getting.”
“Don’t rub it in.”
“I’m turning into your carer. You’ll be asking me to wipe your bottom next. No wonder you invite us along on holiday. What do you do when you travel on your own?”
“I get by OK.”
“And probably remember to always take your glasses with you. Unlike when you’re with us.”
“I remember most of the time.”
“Occasionally is more accurate.”
“Fuck off.”
“Winning the argument with your dazzling wit again, eh, Dad?”
For once, we all order a breakfast. Even Andrew. The breakfasts are very competitively priced, with Andrew's only around $13 Canadian. Andrew gets himself a bottle of Molson. I ask for a gin and tonic. But they have no tonic. I just get a shot of gin and mix it with the orange juice that comes with my breakfast.
Which includes something called peameal bacon. What the fuck is that? Turns out it’s back bacon with a crust of peameal. It’s pretty tasty. Is that just an Ontario thing?
The food is pretty good. Even Andrew manages to eat most of his. Me and Alexe gobble down what he can't manage. Alexei always has a healthy appetite.
Another Uber soon has us at the Royal Ontario Museum. Which is pretty busy. We’re wearing coats on account of the rain. But they’re a bit too warm when we’re inside.
We have a limited amount of time and restrict ourselves to a couple of the rooms. Kicking off with the Chinese and Korean bits. Followed by Africa and the Pacific. Finishing with the first nations. Unfortunately, the latter is a little rushed. Which is a shame as they have some fascinating exhibits.
Yet another Uber takes us to the Toronto Railway Museum. Which is right next to the Rogers Centre where we saw the baseball yesterday.
It's quite a small museum, with most of the rolling stock exhibits outside. The rest is in part of the former roundhouse. They have a pretty good train simulator which Andrew has a go on.
Once we're done, we drop by the Steam Whistle Brewery, which is also in the roundhouse. It's much busier than yesterday.
The beer range isn’t the most extensive. I have the hazy IPA again. Which is OK, if sludgy. The kids stick with Pilsner. At least for the first round. Andrew then switches to cider. He’s quite keen on cider, as is Alexei. They usually give it a try, when it’s on draught.
They're showing the Blue Jays game, which is taking place just a couple of hundred metres away. Then suddenly it changes and England vs France for World Cup third place is on.
"I'm surprised that they switched off the baseball to show this.” I remark.
“They probably expect the Blue Jays to lose again.” Andrew chimes in.
“That’s probably true.”
England are frustratingly good in the first half. With their second team.
"Why didn't they play like this against Argentina?" Andrew asks.
“Good question.” I reply.
We leave at half time, as I'm recording the game on Ziggo. With England 4-0 up.
It takes us a while to return to our hotel, as we get caught up in the traffic leaving the baseball. We barely move 200 metres in 20 minutes. Once clear, though, we’re back in a jiffy.
Back in the hotel, we rig up my flipflop to the TV and start watching the second half. France is like a different team. Getting the score back to 4-3.
"Why didn't France play like this against Spain?" Andrew asks.
“Another good question.”
“Or in the first half, for that matter?”
“Couldn’t be arsed?”
“That’s a bit stereotypical isn’t it, Dad?”
“I just meant that it didn’t really look like that they were trying. Not that they were typical lazy Frenchies.”
“Daad.”
“What?”
“You can’t say things like that.”
“I told you: I didn’t mean that.”
“But you just said it.”
“To say that I didn’t mean it.”
“I give up.”
A flurry of goals at the end of the second half leaves the score at 6-4 to England. Easily the most entertaining game of the World Cup. And I'm sure way better than tomorrow's final will be.
Game watched, we head off to the Distillery District. Which is just around the corner. Easy to reach on foot. And home to a couple of breweries.
We start at Old Flame Brewery. Which claims to have won the most awards for Canadian craft Lager.
“That sounds just down your Strasse, Andrew.”
“It does.”
Andrew likes a good Lager. And he is, indeed, very pleased with his Helles. My Dunkles isn't quite up to the same standard, but still decent.
Which is more than can be said for some of the karaoke going on just behind us.
“Do you fancy moving on, kids?”
“Can do." Alexei says. "There's another brewpub just down the street.”
Which the Mill Street Brewery indeed is. It only takes a minute or two to get there. Even old slowcoach me.
On entering, a waitress takes us through a couple of rooms to a table towards the rear. It’s pretty full.
We order beers and think about ordering some side dishes. Which we do. Kicking off with gyozas and prawns. Both of which are excellent. So good, we order more food. Pierogis and poutine.
"That's easy to remember. They both start with the letter p." Alexi says, helpfully.
The kids order another beer. After more than five minutes, it hasn't arrived. We ask our waiter and he seems to have forgotten.
"I'll bring you free beers." He says, apologetically. Which he does.
"I really like this place." Alexei says. "If it was in Amsterdam, I'd come every day.”
Praise indeed.
“It’s a nice enough place, but I wouldn’t want to come every day. Unlike the Cardigan Arms, where I could happily spend the rest of my life.” I reply.
“So, for another couple of months?” Andrew says, cheekily.
“Fuck off, you twat. I’m good for at least another year.”
“I wouldn’t be so sure about that, the way you’ve been coughing.” Alexei says.
He has a point. Which I prove with a bout of coughing.
“See what I mean?” Alexei exclaims triumphantly.
We don't stay out too late, leaving at around 23:00.
Back in the room, I drink some of the Canadian wine I bought earlier. and the kids get stuck into some beer. While watching “It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia”.
I turn in at 00:30. I need my kip. And want to be up early for travelling. Yippee!
Golden Diner
105 Carlton St.,
Toronto, ON M5B 1M1.
https://golden-diner.com/
Steam Whistle Tap Room
255 Bremner Blvd,
Toronto, ON M5V 3M9.
https://steamwhistle.ca/
Old Flame Brewing Company
43 Tank House Lane,
Toronto, ON M5A 3C4.
https://oldflamebrewingco.ca/pages/contact-us
Mill Street Brewpub Distillery District Toronto
21 Tank House Lane,
Toronto, ON M5A 3C4.
https://millstreetbrewery.com/en/pubs/toronto-brewpub









No comments:
Post a Comment