Pages

Thursday, 23 July 2026

I, Arthur Buckridge

A Young's Brown Ale label featuring a drawing of a ram.
From 1830 to the 1980s there were two types of pubs in the UK: fully licensed premises and beer houses. The latter being a product of the 1830 Beer Act, which allowed just about anyone to open a pub that didn’t sell spirits.

Beer house licences were initially issued not by the local licensing authorities, but by the central excise authorities. Though that changed after 1869. Beer houses weren’t generally liked by licensing magistrates, who were always trying to close them down.

Brewers and licensees, on the other hand, were very keen on converting beer licences to full licences. The latter being more profitable. A beer house converted to a full licence immediately became more valuable.

Which explains why Arthur Buckridge made this application.

The Licensing Acts 1910 and 1921.
In the County of LONDON 
Petty Sessional Division of WANDSWORTH.

To the Rating Authority of this Pariah of Battersea Borough in the said County, to the Superintendent of Police of the Parish of Battersea in the County of London, to Thomas Baines. Esq. Clerk of the Licensing Justices for the said Petty Sessional Division, and to all whom it may concern.

I ARTHUR BUCKRIDOE, now residing at 71 Rawson-street in the Parish of Battersea. in the County of London., Beerhouse Keeper, DO HEREBY GIVE NOTICE that it is my intention to apply at the General Annual Licensing Meeting for the said Division to be holden at the Town Hall, Lavender Hill, Battersea, in the said Division and County, on Friday, the 3rd day of February, 1939, for a grant to me of a Justices Licence authorising me to hold an Excise Licence to sell, under the Licensing Acta, 1910 and 1921, the following intoxicating liquor, viz., WINE by retail, to be consumed either ON or OFF the house or premises thereto belonging situate at No. 71 Rawson-street in the Parish of Battersea, in the said Division and County, known by the sign of the "PRINCE ARTHUR,” of which premises Young and Company’s Brewery, Limited, of the Ram Brewery. Wandsworth, are the Owners and which premises are now occupied by me as a Beerhouse Keeper.

GIVEN under my hand this 10th day of January, 1939,
ARTHUR BUCKRIDGE.
South Western Star - Friday 13 January 1939, page 4.

I wonder if the Prince Arthur ever got its full licence? I’ve tried looking on old OS maps, but can’t find one with enough detail. The pub itself no longer exists. Most of the street seems to have been destroyed during the war, It’s currently post-war flats.
 

3 comments:

  1. I notice that Mr Buckridge is only applying for his license to include wine. There is nothing there that mentions spirits of any kind. So was there a sort of intermediate license which allowed wine sales but still barred whisky, gin etc.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd missed that. I thought beer and wine licences usually went together. Obviously not.

      Delete
  2. i tried to find an old pub that my dad used to frequent in his late teens, I found the road but the properties had been demolised as part of the sum clearance programme and now it was social housing. I later found out however that the actual street i was looking at wasnt the original street as it had been moved about 50 yards, however, i found the site of the pub, it is now a open space/park

    ReplyDelete